It is a common practice to throw sticks for dogs, but it is a dangerous pass-time. I was walking my border collie “Beauty”, some years ago, with some children of a friend. They started throwing a stick for her – I thought nothing of it at the time. The stick spun end over end and landed end first in a patch of mud. Beauty ran into it, mouth open, and pulled back with the stick stuck in her throat. I immediately removed the stick and rushed her to my vet. Fortunately, no damage was done, she was very lucky, but it could have been a lot worse – as the picture shows.