Keep your dogs cool in this hot weather we are having at the moment:
- NEVER leave dogs in cars
- Make sure they have a cool spot to lie in in the shade (remember the sun moves around!) or a cool tiled floor in a cool room.
- Ensure there is a large bowl of cold water nearby.
- Don’t take your dogs for a walk during the heat of the day, better to give them an early morning walk and a late evening walk instead.
If your dog is showing signs of heatstroke:
- excessive panting
- bright or dark red tongue and gums
- sticky or dry tongue
- diarrhoea or vomiting
- rapid heartbeat
- high temperature
Act quickly, your dog’s life may depend on it!
- Move them to a cool shady place.
- Place cold, wet cloths under and over the dog, particularly around the paws and head.
- Offer ice cubes for the dog to lick.
- Consult a veterinarian.