Cyda

Cyda

I am often asked questions by dog owners regarding their pets.

Since 1960, I have owned and trained my own dogs, and helped with the care and training of others’ dogs.

I have been breeding Pedigree Cavalier King Charles Spaniels since the 1980’s for nearly 40 years.

During this time I have gained experience in the many different facets of dog ownership – Care, Feeding, Grooming, Exercise, Training, Breeding and much more.

I am willing to share this knowledge with others and invite your questions.

DISCLAIMER:

I will endeavour to answer your questions as honestly as possible and to the best of my ability.

However, no liability can be accepted for any errors, actions or omissions caused as a result of questions answered on this page.

Neither Anne nor Heronbank Cavaliers are authorities in these matters, and the content of any answers is purely the opinion – often borne of experience – of the writer.

941 Comments

1. Gemma

Hi I have children is their a min age on adopting a dog on one of u ur dogs

• Anne Fairless

We normally advise that children are school age or older before adopting a Cavalier. We often have no idea of the background of the dog and they could have been ill treated by younger children and older children are more likely to be able to understand when to touch a dogAnd went to leave it alone

2. Katie

Hi Anne, I just wondered if you could advise on the whole raw / cooked / homemade / kibble type diets. I’m happy to cook for my puppy or prepare her food. I’ve read so many articles and am getting confused about what’s best for her. Riley is 12 weeks old and 3/4 cavalier x. she’s so much.

• Anne Fairless

What a pretty little dog!
      I understand that the whole “what to feed” question can be confusing.
      In most cases kibble is the most convenient but the quality can be so variable.
      I don’t favour tinned food as you are paying for up to 70% water!
      A dogs digestion is made to take raw food (not cooked). Try something like the free flow mince you can get, frozen in pets at home and elsewhere. Mine love the tripe and the beef but are not so keen on the chicken. Don’t give human quality mince etc as animals need offal and ground bone for calcium, and a higher fat content than we do. That’s all in the pet mince so you don’t need any additives. Oh and they don’t need large quantities of raw food So the poo will be less. If you opt for raw, don’t give biscuits at the same time. Reason being, raw speeds up the digestion and biscuits slow down the digestion so mixing is likely to result in upset tummies.
      I hope this has helped.

3. Debbie

My female has only 4 nipples is this normal

• Anne Fairless

Hi. Normally there are 3-4 nipples on Each side
      If your girl only has 4 then I wouldn’t risk breeding from her, but other than that it shouldn’t be a problem
      Kind regards
      Anne

4. Laura Bonnin

I am wondering if anyone has had the experience of fly catchers syndrome sudden onset with Application of topical flea and tick medications? A two year old female has started fly catchers syndrome after being vaccinated for Lepto, and Nexgard and Interceptor plus applications

• Anne Fairless

This sounds like a neurological reaction to products. I would ask your vet if there is anything to reverse this effect.
      Anne

5. Jo

We have a litter of 3 puppies. 2 of them are over a pound and a half, but the 3rd is only 7 ounces! They are 2 weeks old. He eats well… do you think we should be concerned?

• Anne Fairless

Just keep making sure that he is getting the nutrition he needs. He will probably always be small though.

6. Nick

Hi my male cavalier(not desexed) 16months old won’t leave my 3 year old male cavalier(desexed) alone. He literally follows him everywhere. The desexed male will move away and the un-desexed one will follow and lay on or stand on top of the desexed one! It is clearly visible the desexed one is annoyed.
    Is there a reason why the younger male is doing this? Or is he just really needy?

• Anne Fairless

Desexing your youngest cavaliers should sort this unwanted behaviour.
      Anne

7. Ann Barker

As long standing people with cavaliers I ask your opinion. I have a 4 year old cavalier bitch with anal gland problems that are getting worse. were being emptied every 4 weeks then got as they started to leak a few days after emptying. Now on antibiotics. We have tried different foods and fibre additives I would say her poo okay but glands keep filling up. Any alternative ideas please from your experience. She is on grain free dog food turkey and duck.

• Anne Fairless

We had a cavalier in rescue with horrendous anal glands. I must say that after an operation to remove then he was fine.

8. Antonia Bowers

Hi,
    Looking for advice, we have a 5 year old girl who we adopted only two months ago. She originally lived with another female the same age and since coming to live with us she has seemed quite lonely. We do have three children who dote on her and she loves them equally back. We have been offered another 5 year old girl, we have jumped at the chance thinking our girl will be happy at having a companion. We took her for a first visit to the other dogs home to meet. Our girl growled when she was initially approached by the other dog, then snapped at her on her second approach. The other dog then went a lay in her bed, she did eventually come out and was very friendly towards us all but kept her distance from our girl. After that our girl seemed wary of her but eventually curled up on their sofa and went to sleep!
    Do you think I will have problems when she comes to live with us? What do you think would be the best next meeting ground? We are due to meet and then bring the new girl home with us next time.
    I don’t want any problems with fighting when I get them home!

• Anne Fairless

I would always suggest a neutral meeting ground such as a park or just down the road, never on another dogs territory.
      When you get them home, don’t leave them alone together for several weeks. As they are cavaliers I don’t foresee any major problems.

9. Mariama

My 3yr old CKC called Cleo only does 4 or 5 wee’s in 24hrs, l took her to the vets and he didn’t seem concerned. With your experience what are your views on this.

• Anne Fairless

As long as she is drinking plenty and isn’t struggling to go, there shouldn’t be any problem.

10. SUSAN JANE BURNEY

Please help me i can’t take much more! My 7yr old kcc has suddenly changed out of all recognition. He very uunruly and won’t do as he is aasked he is also biting his back very badly i can’t afford a vet & the pdsa are a long way from me his back is bleeding but he won’t stop i have even covered them up with plasters he has bitten them off

• Anne Fairless

Hi Andrew
      It really sounds like your poor dog needs to see a vet. He could have got a minor wound which has become infected or it could be s flea problem which has got out of hand and will need the right antibiotics and flea treatment to sort it.
      My guess is the latter. With all the hot weather we have been having fleas have been breeding like crazy. They are a major cause of open/ bleeding sores towards the middle and lower back which then become infected. If this is the case then you will also need to treat the house where the dog has access as they will be in furnishings and carpets. This is not the fault of the dog. He is just being eaten alive by parasites.
      Either way he will need urgent treatment.
      … Anne