I heard of another incident last night where a dog died soon after entering the water’s edge – this time at Lake Windermere in the Lake District.
Featured on Countryfile last night, this is another tragedy caused by the rapidly-spreading blue-green algae (which looks like paint-spill) and is now becoming widespread.
The authorities are taking samples and analysing it, but so far (to the best of my knowledge have not come up with a solution).
My best advice is, no matter how much your dog likes water, keep them well away from open areas of water until this menace is past. See http://www.heronbank.co.uk/2011/08/dog-poison-alert-update/