Dogs are not very discriminating when it comes to food and drink, so be very careful where you leave your summer beer!
More importantly the ethanol in your favorite brew could have disasterous consequences for your pet. Depending on how much is consumed and whether the dog has eaten recently, effects can be seen between 15 minutes and 2 hours later.
- depressed central nervous system
- involuntary urinating and defacation
- lowered body temperature
- low blood sugar
- slowed breathing and heart rate
- increase in body acid
- heart attack
Treatment for ethanol poisoning begins with an IV drip, medication to combat and inhibit the metabolism of the alcohol, artificial ventilation and oxygen therapy to aid breathing and cardiac therapy if a heart attack occurs. If your dog survives the first twelve hours, your vet will need to monitor blood and urine pH levels and their body acidity until they are back to normal.
Other sources of ethanol poisoning are fermented products such as bread dough and rotten apples, dyes, inks, disinfectants, mouthwashes, paints, perfumes, pharmaceuticals and gasoline.